All About Me
Dawn - edging ever closer to 30, although I still feel like I'm 21. :) I'm married to a youth pastor ('Big G'), and have THREE wonderful kids: a five year-old son ('Little G'), a just turned two year-old daughter ('A'), and our newest little girl blessing, Baby R, was born May 28/07!! They keep me hopping as I juggle them, my WAH part-time job as an accountant, being a pastor's wife, and of course hobbies like quilting, scrapbooking, and blogging!

My Complete Profile

More about this blog


Christian Women Online
Blog Ring

Join | List | Random

Family Friendly Blogroll []

Blogs I Read
PCOS Baby
Julia
Callapidder Days
Rocks in My Dryer
Life in a Shoe: The Methods and Madness of One Family of 10

Recent Entries
Thankful thoughts
Overcommittedness... is that a word?
I want to go bowling!!
It must suck to be married to me sometimes
Oh, the CRYING!!!
Who said everything has to have a purpose???

Search


Monthly Archives
January 2006
February 2006
March 2006
June 2006
September 2006
October 2006
November 2006
December 2006
January 2007
March 2007
April 2007
May 2007
June 2007
July 2007
August 2007
September 2007
October 2007
November 2007
December 2007

Miscellaneous

Moms for Modesty


Subscribe with Bloglines

National Blog Posting Month


Credits
Blog Design by:


Image from:
istockphoto

Powered by:


Meter:

Wednesday, January 18, 2006
My poor sweet little boy
Gavin has such a tender heart. He always has been much more affected by our tone of voice far more than any other kind of discipline. If we even raise our voice a little bit (which despite our best efforts does occasionally happen when he continues to smack his sister in the head with a blow-up sword) he just melts down and cried "you said mean words to me!" And he is genuinely hurt by this.

So tonight in the bath he was trying to catch the little pieces of sock lint that were floating around in the tub after coming out from between his toes. He was calling them his friends and he captured one and handed it to me. He's played this before and he just wants them out of the bathtub (come to think of it, he used to be scared of them even). So I took it from him and flicked it into the toilet. Big. Mistake. Huge crocodile tears start falling from his big blue eyes - "don't put my friend in the potty!!" I finally got him calmed down and he convinced himself that his friend was going down the hole to see the rest of his family. Stoic little soul.

Later he unplugged the tub and nearly had another meltdown because he was trying to catch another little 'friend' but the water was swirling and he couldn't grab it. Fortunately Mommy stepped in and caught the little guy. I thought it was safe to put him in the toilet to go to see his family, but G stopped me and told me to put it in his room. Oh boy. Now we have little lint pets. After all the water was out, I got his towel and went to dry him off, and he was sitting in the middle of the now-empty tub looking absolutely heartbroken and he started crying again and said "I'm going to miss them." Poor baby, I think he must be feeling very overwhelmed and emotional about growing up or something. I've read as they get more and more independent they will have moments (like our bathtub friends episode) where they need to come back to the safety of Mommy's arms and still be a baby for a minute. And I'm happy to be there.

I know he'll change as he gets older, and I would hate for him to be picked on in any way because of his temperment, but I pray he never loses his tender heart. Okay, they were just pieces of lint, but he really felt for them! Maybe he'll grow up to be a doctor and I'll tell this story at his graduation (and embarrass him to death). :)

 
posted at 9:10 PM  
  0 comments


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home