All About Me
Dawn - edging ever closer to 30, although I still feel like I'm 21. :) I'm married to a youth pastor ('Big G'), and have THREE wonderful kids: a five year-old son ('Little G'), a just turned two year-old daughter ('A'), and our newest little girl blessing, Baby R, was born May 28/07!! They keep me hopping as I juggle them, my WAH part-time job as an accountant, being a pastor's wife, and of course hobbies like quilting, scrapbooking, and blogging!

My Complete Profile

More about this blog


Christian Women Online
Blog Ring

Join | List | Random

Family Friendly Blogroll []

Blogs I Read
PCOS Baby
Julia
Callapidder Days
Rocks in My Dryer
Life in a Shoe: The Methods and Madness of One Family of 10

Recent Entries
Things they don't teach in school
My poor sweet little boy
Thankful thoughts
Overcommittedness... is that a word?
I want to go bowling!!
It must suck to be married to me sometimes
Oh, the CRYING!!!
Who said everything has to have a purpose???

Search


Monthly Archives
January 2006
February 2006
March 2006
June 2006
September 2006
October 2006
November 2006
December 2006
January 2007
March 2007
April 2007
May 2007
June 2007
July 2007
August 2007
September 2007
October 2007
November 2007
December 2007

Miscellaneous

Moms for Modesty


Subscribe with Bloglines

National Blog Posting Month


Credits
Blog Design by:


Image from:
istockphoto

Powered by:


Meter:

Saturday, January 21, 2006
School days
I'm not sure how it's happened, since I'm sure G is still my 'baby,' but it's time already to start thinking about school for him. I just want to start off by saying that I'm a little bit in shock that I'm even having to think about this already; my baby just can't be nearly old enough to go to school by himself!

We have two elementary schools here - public and Catholic. A good friend of mine has sent her kids (two so far) to the Catholic school after a great deal of research on her part. Yes, there will be some doctrinal issues that she will have to clarify for her kids, but she feels that this is preferable to having her kids openly taught as early as grade two ideas such as 'some people have two mommies or two daddies' etc. I haven't visited either school myself yet, but her descriptions of her daughters' classes sound wonderful - small classes, teachers who really love the kids, the kindergarten class sits in a circle and prays to start their day, etc.

The times DH and I have discussed this, his argument is that it's easier to make a clear demarcation and say 'this is right and this is wrong,' black and white, regarding some things they would be taught in the public school, than to sort out what things we believe the same as and what things we don't in the Catholic school. While I sort of see the logic of his position, I'm not really convinced by it, especially for young children. I would be more inclined to agree with that for an older child/teenager, where they are starting to sort out the more subtle distinctions of their faith, but for a young child I think it's more important that they're in an atmosphere where loving God is an expected part of their life, rather than an anomaly.

Especially for little children, who are so easily influenced without even knowing it, when they're forming their very worldview that will carry them through the rest of their life, I feel like it's so important to have them in an environment that shares at least the same basic values as we do.

Like I've said, DH is preaching tomorrow, so it's not a topic to bring up for discussion tonight, lol, but we'll need to discuss it soon - my friend told me that if I wanted to get Gavin in there, I should call now and get his name on the list before it's too late. And she has also offered that if we do put him in the Junior Kindergarten program next year, to watch him in the afternoons (it's a 1/2 day program) on the days I work. Which would be great for several reasons, including only having to pay one full-time dayhome fee! (I only work three days a week, but the hours work out to just above the cutoff for full-time cost.)

I'm looking for as much input as possible here, so if you have an opinion, please post and let me know what you think!

 
posted at 2:18 PM  
  0 comments


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home