All About Me
Dawn - edging ever closer to 30, although I still feel like I'm 21. :) I'm married to a youth pastor ('Big G'), and have THREE wonderful kids: a five year-old son ('Little G'), a just turned two year-old daughter ('A'), and our newest little girl blessing, Baby R, was born May 28/07!! They keep me hopping as I juggle them, my WAH part-time job as an accountant, being a pastor's wife, and of course hobbies like quilting, scrapbooking, and blogging!

My Complete Profile

More about this blog


Christian Women Online
Blog Ring

Join | List | Random

Family Friendly Blogroll []

Blogs I Read
PCOS Baby
Julia
Callapidder Days
Rocks in My Dryer
Life in a Shoe: The Methods and Madness of One Family of 10

Recent Entries
A few 'administrative' notes...
I am Dawn, the Domestic Diva
My get up and go just got up and left
School days
Things they don't teach in school
My poor sweet little boy
Thankful thoughts
Overcommittedness... is that a word?
I want to go bowling!!
It must suck to be married to me sometimes

Search


Monthly Archives
January 2006
February 2006
March 2006
June 2006
September 2006
October 2006
November 2006
December 2006
January 2007
March 2007
April 2007
May 2007
June 2007
July 2007
August 2007
September 2007
October 2007
November 2007
December 2007

Miscellaneous

Moms for Modesty


Subscribe with Bloglines

National Blog Posting Month


Credits
Blog Design by:


Image from:
istockphoto

Powered by:


Meter:

Thursday, January 26, 2006
The wonder of the internet
What did we do before the internet? I'm old enough to remember, but not really well, lol. I think I first connected to the internet when I was 17 (on a 9600 baud - is that what they called them? - dialup modem). And I don't think it really was the 'internet' as we know it now, it was individual BBSs (bulletin board systems?) that you would actually dial their number and could connect to whatever they had on their system. We've sure come a long way in 10 years.

But tonight I'm really thinking not about the technology and vast information of the internet, but the way it enables us to connect with others, people we may never meet in our lifetimes. There are people I call 'friends' that I only have ever communicated with via message boards or email, and yet when they are struggling or rejoicing I feel it nearly as deeply as I do with the friends I can reach out and touch. I have received advice and support and love from these friends that have benefitted me in so many ways, and I hope I have been able to give back a fraction of that myself.

I have gotten some strange looks when I mention these friends in casual conversation up here in our small town/rural area. "Oh, where is your friend from?" "I think Atlanta (or wherever)" "You think?" "Well, see, I haven't ever actually met them...we just know each other online..." Their face goes blank and you can see their mind filtering through all the scary internet stalker stories they've ever heard...

But you know what? I feel sorry for them because they haven't had the opportunity and privilege to get to know such amazing people like I have online. I check in with several of my online friends every day, and often wish I really was there in 'real life' to give them a hug when they need it, or jump up and down with joy along with them.

 
posted at 9:48 PM  
  2 comments


2 Comments:
At January 27, 2006 6:27 PM, Anonymous Kristine said...

Hi, Dawn! I'm glad you posted your blog addy and I'm enjoying catching up with your thoughts. Reading blogs has become quite a hobby for me lately!

I know *exactly* what you mean about those glazed looks from people when you mention your "Internet friends." And I agree that it's definitely their loss to not understand how people you've never met, often never even seen in any way, can truly be your friend!

When you really think about it, it's pretty wild, isn't it? All those people out there spread across the world, connecting in the most personal and meaningful ways, and the great majority of them will never, ever lay eyes on each other IRL. What a concept!

Happy blogging!


Kristine :)

 
At February 14, 2006 8:02 PM, Anonymous Ingrid said...

Great blog, Dawn! I count you as one of those neat people I've had the privilege to meet online. :)

Thanks for letting us read your thoughts. I couldn't agree more!

Thankful for you,

Ingrid

 

Post a Comment

<< Home