All About Me
Dawn - edging ever closer to 30, although I still feel like I'm 21. :) I'm married to a youth pastor ('Big G'), and have THREE wonderful kids: a five year-old son ('Little G'), a just turned two year-old daughter ('A'), and our newest little girl blessing, Baby R, was born May 28/07!! They keep me hopping as I juggle them, my WAH part-time job as an accountant, being a pastor's wife, and of course hobbies like quilting, scrapbooking, and blogging!

My Complete Profile

More about this blog


Christian Women Online
Blog Ring

Join | List | Random

Family Friendly Blogroll []

Blogs I Read
PCOS Baby
Julia
Callapidder Days
Rocks in My Dryer
Life in a Shoe: The Methods and Madness of One Family of 10

Recent Entries
How has it been TWO WEEKS?!?
The wonder of the internet
A few 'administrative' notes...
I am Dawn, the Domestic Diva
My get up and go just got up and left
School days
Things they don't teach in school
My poor sweet little boy
Thankful thoughts
Overcommittedness... is that a word?

Search


Monthly Archives
January 2006
February 2006
March 2006
June 2006
September 2006
October 2006
November 2006
December 2006
January 2007
March 2007
April 2007
May 2007
June 2007
July 2007
August 2007
September 2007
October 2007
November 2007
December 2007

Miscellaneous

Moms for Modesty


Subscribe with Bloglines

National Blog Posting Month


Credits
Blog Design by:


Image from:
istockphoto

Powered by:


Meter:

Sunday, February 12, 2006
Children running wild
What is the world coming to??? Little G was outside with Daddy this afternoon, shovelling the slush off the driveway, when a couple of kids came walking down the street, and started playing with Little G in the yard. Big G asked them if they lived around here, and they said oh yeah, up that way and down a couple of streets. They ended up playing in the yard for over an hour, and only left when we called Little G inside because it was starting to get dark. And these kids couldn't have been more than four and six years old! Their parents obviously had no idea where they were or what they were doing, since I have no idea who they are and they didn't know they were going to be playing here until they wandered by and saw Little G.

Yes, we live in a small town, and we're not on a main road, but I can't even fathom letting my kids wander around on their own at that age. Am I really that overprotective or are there just a lot of underprotective parents around here? The kids on our block play outside in each other's yards all summer, and maybe that's okay since they're all a bit older and they do always stay within these four or five houses, but I don't think I would feel comfortable not knowing whose yard my kids were in at any given time. And it just blows my mind that someone would just send their kindergarten-aged kids outside to play and not care that they were blocks away.

 
posted at 8:36 PM  
  1 comments


1 Comments:
At February 13, 2006 8:27 PM, Anonymous Erin said...

I sometimes wonder things like that myself. Our street is small and we're familiar with most people, so I'm less concerned about it here. (Of course, P is only 2 so I don't exactly let him go running down the street by himself very often.) One of the things I like about it is that a lot of the kids are often playing together out in the street.

But the other day a girl that I recognize but don't know personally came to my door selling Girl Scout cookies, and there was no parent in sight! It was dark and I don't think she was more than 8 or 9. My parents never let me sell cookies alone, and I dropped out of Girl Scouts at 11. I couldn't imagine that, so I can definitely relate to what you're saying about those kids.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home