All About Me
Dawn - edging ever closer to 30, although I still feel like I'm 21. :) I'm married to a youth pastor ('Big G'), and have THREE wonderful kids: a five year-old son ('Little G'), a just turned two year-old daughter ('A'), and our newest little girl blessing, Baby R, was born May 28/07!! They keep me hopping as I juggle them, my WAH part-time job as an accountant, being a pastor's wife, and of course hobbies like quilting, scrapbooking, and blogging!

My Complete Profile

More about this blog


Christian Women Online
Blog Ring

Join | List | Random

Family Friendly Blogroll []

Blogs I Read
PCOS Baby
Julia
Callapidder Days
Rocks in My Dryer
Life in a Shoe: The Methods and Madness of One Family of 10

Recent Entries
Everyday Things
Good friends are such a blessing
I feel like I don't fit anywhere in cyberspace
'I don't like school'
Win a FREE blog design!
School days
*Ü* Um, I'm back?!?
Swimming lesson update
How do they know how to push our buttons so soon??...
You'd think the accountants could get it right

Search


Monthly Archives
January 2006
February 2006
March 2006
June 2006
September 2006
October 2006
November 2006
December 2006
January 2007
March 2007
April 2007
May 2007
June 2007
July 2007
August 2007
September 2007
October 2007
November 2007
December 2007

Miscellaneous

Moms for Modesty


Subscribe with Bloglines

National Blog Posting Month


Credits
Blog Design by:


Image from:
istockphoto

Powered by:


Meter:

Friday, September 22, 2006
My discourse on homeschooling
I'm sure it's come across in my posts that I am desiring to homeschool our children, at least for part of their education. My husband is not convinced - not that he's adamantly against it, but he does seem to be leaning that direction. And it certainly doesn't help that every time we start to talk about it, I have a very difficult time putting my thoughts into words and more likely than not just start crying! I feel so passionately about this for so many varied reasons that it's hard to articulate it and the feeling that his heart is not (yet?) with mine in this area makes it very emotional for me to try to discuss it.

So...I've spent the last couple of hours trying to put together a 'Why I Want to Homeschool' essay of sorts. It sounds kind of cheesy to print it out rather than just say it, but if I can get my thoughts semi-coherently down on paper, and have Big G read that, maybe it would be easier to discuss further once I knew my main points were out there.

I'm having a really hard time expressing myself, though, which is not normal for me - prayers for clarity would be appreciated! (And if anyone wants to volunteer to edit my essay, as well!) ;)

Labels:


 
posted at 8:12 PM  
  1 comments


1 Comments:
At September 24, 2006 2:17 PM, Blogger tiessen clan o five said...

Hi Dawn
I'm a fellow canuck. I live in bc, but my brother and his wife and three kids life in Alberta. Anyways I have 3 children. One just started Kindergarten at the local Christian school, one is in preschool and my oldest is being home schooled this year for grade 2. This was not an easy decision for us he had a fantastic year last year, however we just moved to a new town a small town (we lived on the coast,White Rock, near Vancouver). He needed alot of learning assistance support last year and thrived with the one -on one, however the new school could not promise me the same support. So I did not want to lose all the gains we made last year, so we chose to homeschool. I did alot of reading about this subject. One thing that helped with the decision was reading that most homeschool kids when they are tested to see how they are doing are testing 1-4 grade levels above kids who are not homeschooled. You can read abouth this study at the Fraser Institute. Is your husband worried that your kids might turn out, well how do I put this, weird. I say this because this was great fear of my husbands. I know some familes when I was growing up who lets just say were a liitle different and they were the ones who homeschooled. My thoughts on this are I think if these same kids had gone to school they probably would still be a liitle different. Home school is becoming more prevelant. We are doing a program that is teacher assisted. As far as the socialization we are putting him in lots of programs. I don't know that we will do this forever, this may be the only year. But we prayed about it and know that thie what we are supposed to do this year. Each child is so different, my daughter in Kindergarten loves school and being with her friends and just does better there. I will pray that you will have a peace about whatever decision you both make. If God wants you to homeschool I will pray that your husband will be open to it. I also read alot of blogs of moms that homeschool, that was actually helpful. Sorry I was so long winded. Hope I helped a bit. I just have a family blog right now tiessenfam.blogspot.com. But I am in the process of getting my own.
Blessings
Tricia

 

Post a Comment

<< Home