All About Me
Dawn - edging ever closer to 30, although I still feel like I'm 21. :) I'm married to a youth pastor ('Big G'), and have THREE wonderful kids: a five year-old son ('Little G'), a just turned two year-old daughter ('A'), and our newest little girl blessing, Baby R, was born May 28/07!! They keep me hopping as I juggle them, my WAH part-time job as an accountant, being a pastor's wife, and of course hobbies like quilting, scrapbooking, and blogging!

My Complete Profile

More about this blog


Christian Women Online
Blog Ring

Join | List | Random

Family Friendly Blogroll []

Blogs I Read
PCOS Baby
Julia
Callapidder Days
Rocks in My Dryer
Life in a Shoe: The Methods and Madness of One Family of 10

Recent Entries
Christmas card? CHECK!
And there was much rejoicing
A Christmas thought
This makes me so angry!
Yay for me! I'm a geek!
A holiday meme to get into the spirit of things......
Ahhhh...a quiet Monday morning. Little G's at scho...
I think I'm coming out of my hole...
So tired...
We're home

Search


Monthly Archives
January 2006
February 2006
March 2006
June 2006
September 2006
October 2006
November 2006
December 2006
January 2007
March 2007
April 2007
May 2007
June 2007
July 2007
August 2007
September 2007
October 2007
November 2007
December 2007

Miscellaneous

Moms for Modesty


Subscribe with Bloglines

National Blog Posting Month


Credits
Blog Design by:


Image from:
istockphoto

Powered by:


Meter:

Tuesday, December 12, 2006


This is the first time I've participated in 'In Other Words' organized by Christian Women Online - I just saw it on someone else's site today and thought it was a wonderful idea. I hope to participate often!

This week's quote is: "I am the one holding the keys to the atmosphere in our home."~ Terry Maxwell ~Author of: Homeschooling with a Meek and Quiet Spirit

This quote really strikes home with me, as it's something that I've been thinking about often as of late. Saying that we as woman, wives and mothers, have this power to control the atmosphere in our homes is not meant as a boast or a way to lord something over others, but as a sombre responsibility. We have all been in other people's homes or had days in our own where the 'atmosphere' was anything but pleasant! Everything becomes miserable and a chore in a home where the atmosphere is not joyful. And to think that we have the ability to determine what the mood of our home will be - what an incredible responsibility and privilege!

I have been quite sick with this pregnancy, much more so than my other two, and there was a span of six weeks or so where Big G would leave for work with me in my PJs on the couch, and come home at lunch to find me in pretty much the same position. Repeat after work. I was changing diapers as they presented themselves, and everyone got fed at times close to mealtimes, but other than basic needs I was just not able to do anything else. The atmosphere in our home was not that great during this time (not really through anyone's fault, but still).

Over the last few weeks I have been feeling much better - not normal, but tons better compared to a month ago. My husband has commented several times lately how much of a difference it has made to him to have me feeling better - not just because he doesn't have to cook as many meals or dress as many babies ;) but he commented that the house just 'feels' different when I'm better. That's atmosphere.

I am ashamed to say there have been too many times when I abused this precious responsibility and chose to start complaining about my day as soon as my husband walked in the door, rather than showing the love I should. Understandably, when he is assaulted by my bad attitude immediately upon entering his home, he reacts in kind and what often results is a downward spiral that I realize too late that I could have prevented.

But there have also been times when, thanks to the Lord's help, I have greeted my husband with joy and asked about his day, and given him time to reenter the home environment before I start dumping the kids or my problems on him. No, this is not about men sitting in their easy chairs all night long while you bring them their pipe, slippers, and drink, lol! But the difference I have found when I consciously choose to set a positive, loving atmosphere in our home is amazing.

The same principle applies to my children as well, of course. And right now I need to get off the computer to be with them and set a good atmosphere, rather than frustrating all of us by insisting they leave me alone while I'm on the computer! :)

Lord, help me to take seriously my responsibility of setting the atmosphere in my home. May my family treasure our home as a place of love, joy, and fun. Forgive me for the times I have failed and caused our home to be a place of complaining, bitterness, or harshness. Amen.

Labels:


 
posted at 2:01 PM  
  1 comments


1 Comments:
At December 12, 2006 4:26 PM, Blogger Christine said...

Great post! I'm pregnant with #4 and know about the days when the couch gets a lot of business!! I'm so glad you participated this week! Blessings to your family!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home