All About Me
Dawn - edging ever closer to 30, although I still feel like I'm 21. :) I'm married to a youth pastor ('Big G'), and have THREE wonderful kids: a five year-old son ('Little G'), a just turned two year-old daughter ('A'), and our newest little girl blessing, Baby R, was born May 28/07!! They keep me hopping as I juggle them, my WAH part-time job as an accountant, being a pastor's wife, and of course hobbies like quilting, scrapbooking, and blogging!

My Complete Profile

More about this blog


Christian Women Online
Blog Ring

Join | List | Random

Family Friendly Blogroll []

Blogs I Read
PCOS Baby
Julia
Callapidder Days
Rocks in My Dryer
Life in a Shoe: The Methods and Madness of One Family of 10

Recent Entries
Tada!!
WFMW - Eating well
Oh my.
WFMW - paper organization
The first step is admitting you have a problem...
Happy New Year!
Thursday Thirteen #2 - What I Want for Christmas
WFMW - Bloglines
Make it last all year
Am I going to be "THAT" mom?!?

Search


Monthly Archives
January 2006
February 2006
March 2006
June 2006
September 2006
October 2006
November 2006
December 2006
January 2007
March 2007
April 2007
May 2007
June 2007
July 2007
August 2007
September 2007
October 2007
November 2007
December 2007

Miscellaneous

Moms for Modesty


Subscribe with Bloglines

National Blog Posting Month


Credits
Blog Design by:


Image from:
istockphoto

Powered by:


Meter:

Thursday, January 11, 2007
Where MY Heart Is
I started blogging several months ago, without a clear purpose in my mind about what I wanted to talk about or where I wanted to go with my site. I started off with the name 'Things I Think About at Night,' which was appropriate at the time, as I was still in the nursing my baby at night stage. (Now I'm in the 'please stop singing E-I-E-I-O in the middle of the night stage,' but that's another story...) As I've read more and written more over the past year, it's become clearer to me what I want this blog to be. Hence the name change... to Where the Heart Is.

"Home is where the heart is." I'm sure you've all heard this phrase before. This has come to mean a lot to me over the last year as I made the decision to not return to working outside the home when my maternity leave was over. I know many people thought (and several have told me as much) that I was wasting all my years of education, that I could still be a good mom if I worked outside the home, and that I would feel happier and more satisfied if I worked. I did struggle with the decision, but in the end it just came down to the fact that my heart told me I should be at home with my family. I don't love my job, I love my kids.

The internet can be such a cold and impersonal place - you can read some blogs, which are sort of like a person's diary in some ways, and yet come away not really knowing anything about the author. I want you to read my blog and feel like you're sitting down for coffee with a friend...and so I feel like I should introduce myself and share a little more information than you get from my Blogger profile. :)

I'm Dawn, I'm within a couple of years of 30 (yikes!) and I'm married to a wonderful man of God (who we'll call 'Big G' for our purposes here). He's a youth pastor and definitely young at heart! We've been married for seven years and have been blessed with two children - our son Little G, who is four and a half already somehow, and our daughter A, who just turned 18 months. We're also getting excited about #3 who will make his/her appearance probably in late May. We live in a small town (like less than 5,000 people) in a fairly rural area in Canada - it can be cold and snowy, but we know it's where the Lord has called us to be and we love it.

Where is my heart?

My heart is...with the Lord Jesus Christ above all. I grew up in a Christian home and have grown in many ways as I learned to make my faith my own. I struggle and sin daily, as we all do, and am learning each day to rely on Him more.

My heart is...with my family. I can't believe how many parents have children and then want to get rid of them as quickly as possible - can't wait for them to be in school all day, enroll them as many lessons and classes as possible so they don't have to be with them for hours after school, and speak of their blessings from GOD as if they were inconveniences at best. I believe that after my relationship with God, my husband and my children are my highest priority. I believe we as parents are responsible for bringing our children up in a way that would be pleasing to Him.

My heart is...with our church family. We have been so blessed to have our first church be such a wonderful experience. We have been here for four years (way longer than the average youth pastor stay of 18 months) and can't imagine leaving without the Lord really changing our hearts. We have grown to love our church family so much and have formed beautiful friendships here.

So there's a little bit about me - and I'm sure you'll find out much more as I post here! I hope that this blog will be a blessing to others in some way...I don't feel like I have much to give, but I have been so blessed by the writing of others and pray that someone will be encouraged or amused or inspired by something I post here. God bless you, and stop by and say 'hi' if you're visiting. :)

Labels:


 
posted at 7:08 AM  
  2 comments


2 Comments:
At January 11, 2007 12:22 PM, Blogger Susan Kelly Skitt said...

Hi Dawn,

Enjoyed meeting you today on your blog. I grew up a pastor's daughter and know the inside "scoop" of being a P.K.!

It was nice to hear your heart for your family, and next to your relationship with God, your family is your first ministry.

My mom and dad made our family (I'm the oldest of four, 3 girls and one boy) their first ministry and I'm so thankful. Eternal dividends to be sure. It only enhanced his minsistry to others as we as children felt secure, loved, and came to know and grow in Jesus.

Blessings from Pennsylvania, USA.

Living the adventurous life in Christ,
Susan Kelly Skitt
http://www.livingtheadventurouslife.blogspot.com/

 
At January 16, 2007 1:32 PM, Blogger robin said...

In the neighborhood. Thought I'd browse your blog. Love it!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home