All About Me
Dawn - edging ever closer to 30, although I still feel like I'm 21. :) I'm married to a youth pastor ('Big G'), and have THREE wonderful kids: a five year-old son ('Little G'), a just turned two year-old daughter ('A'), and our newest little girl blessing, Baby R, was born May 28/07!! They keep me hopping as I juggle them, my WAH part-time job as an accountant, being a pastor's wife, and of course hobbies like quilting, scrapbooking, and blogging!

My Complete Profile

More about this blog


Christian Women Online
Blog Ring

Join | List | Random

Family Friendly Blogroll []

Blogs I Read
PCOS Baby
Julia
Callapidder Days
Rocks in My Dryer
Life in a Shoe: The Methods and Madness of One Family of 10

Recent Entries
Blessings
Inertia
Party time!
Help, I've fallen!
God has no in-laws, either
WFMW - digital picture organization/storage/sharin...
For Kelli
We've got some 'splainin to do...
Where MY Heart Is
Tada!!

Search


Monthly Archives
January 2006
February 2006
March 2006
June 2006
September 2006
October 2006
November 2006
December 2006
January 2007
March 2007
April 2007
May 2007
June 2007
July 2007
August 2007
September 2007
October 2007
November 2007
December 2007

Miscellaneous

Moms for Modesty


Subscribe with Bloglines

National Blog Posting Month


Credits
Blog Design by:


Image from:
istockphoto

Powered by:


Meter:

Saturday, March 10, 2007
Getting in the mood...
...for the Spring Reading Thing over at Callapidder Days! I saw the Fall Into Reading challenge too late to join (and oh yeah, I was in the throes of morning sickness all fall), so I've been excitedly waiting for the promised spring challenge! March 21st is the start of the challenge, so mark it on your calendars and get working on your list of books you'd like to read this spring!

Following along with the reading theme, I thought I'd do this meme - inspired by Shannon at Rocks in My Dryer:

Hardback or trade paperback or mass market paperback? Paperback of some type - holding up those heavy hardbacks makes my carpel tunnel act up!

Amazon or brick and mortar? I like Amazon (or Chapters.ca here in Canada), mostly because we don't have any big-box bookstores near where we are. I do have a hard time just walking past an actual bookstore, though, if we're visiting somewhere else. ;) But yes, could be hard on the wallet.

Barnes & Noble or Borders? Um, I don't think we have either one up here, or at least not anywhere I've been - probably in Toronto or Vancouver. Chapters is pretty much the big bookstore up here.

Bookmark or dogear? I usually just make note of the page/chapter I'm on and then assume I'll remember when I come back to it. Right. When I'm actually being realistic about by mental capabilities, I bookmark with whatever scrap of paper happens to be around.

Alphabetize by author or alphabetize by title or random? In theory... No, I'm another one that does well to keep my book pile off of the floor. :)

Keep, throw away, or sell? I actually very rarely *buy* books. Growing up, my parents (somewhat jokingly) said it was a waste of money to buy me books for birthdays and Christmas because I would immediately start right into it and usually finish before lunchtime. On a per hour basis, the cost of buying new books is just too much! I have given away a bunch of books that I inherited from my Grandma that I knew I wouldn't read and re-read.

Keep dustjacket or toss it? I have very few hardbacks, but I've kept the dustjackets on the ones I have.

Read with dustjacket or remove it? Read with.

Short story or novel? Novel. I think short stories remind me too much of 'assigned' reading in high school/university or something.

Harry Potter or Lemony Snicket? Is there an option 'C'? The one thing I can't stand is fantasy. Movies, books, whatever. There's just something about the fact that it's not 'real' that I just can't get involved. I watch Lord of the Rings (at the theatre, even) and I'm looking around at the walls, wondering what kind of speakers they use, how often they vacuum the curtains, etc. I'm just totally disconnected. I have watched one of the Harry Potter movies and it was...okay.

Stop reading when tired or at chapter breaks? Chapter breaks, definitely. Usually about five chapters past where I was totally exhausted and should have put it down. And all bets are off if there's only a third or less of the book left when I'm tired - it will be finished that night.

“It was a dark and stormy night” or “Once upon a time”? Hmmm...probably dark and stormy night, once upon a time sounds too much like the beginning to a fantasy, and we know how I feel about that!

Buy or Borrow? Almost always borrow. As I said above somewhere, I read too quickly to make it seem worthwhile to buy. Although I do reread often since I don't remember much (maybe I should just slow down!). I borrow from the church library when I just feel like reading (light fiction), and a while ago I was in a big reading kick where I reserved and read a ton of recommended books from the library.

New or used? There is something special about a new book...the smell, the way they lay flat before anyone's bent the covers back... But the frugal me says used.

Buying choice: book reviews, recommendation or browse? I usually read something friends have recommended to me, particularly friends whom I know have the same taste in books! I don't mind browsing either, if I have the time and no children are pulling on my arms and legs!

Tidy ending or cliffhanger? I'm conflicted...I do like things to end the way I want them to (strange that the authors never call to ask my opinion, isn't it?) and yet I don't like the formula writing of some authors where you know way back at page 17 where the story's going.

Morning reading, afternoon reading or nighttime reading? Usually at night, curled up in bed. But once I get into a book, then it follows me wherever: making the kids' breakfast in the morning, bathroom breaks, walking up and down the stairs to do laundry (which, incidentally, is not the safest reading posture), and propped up on the kitchen counter as I prepare dinner.

Stand-alone or series? I have read a lot of series, particularly by Christian authors. For my 'light' reading, I like that I don't have to think very hard about what to read next. Unfortunately, it seems like a lot of my reading has been 'light' reading since I had kids, with the exception of a period of a few months after A was born where I read a ton of stand-alone fiction. I think some good 'stand-alone' books will be on my list for the Spring Reading Thing! (Any suggestions?)

Favorite series? I loved the Zion Chronicles and the Zion Covenant by Bodie & Brock Thoene - my mom and I were reading them while they were still being written. We'd both read the newest one within a day or two, and then have to wait months for the next one!

Favorite children's book? I love Goodnight Moon, of course, and had such fun buying Harold and the Purple Crayon and Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good Very Bad Day for my son, since I remember them from my childhood.

Favorite book of which nobody else has heard? This is hard - the first one that comes to mind that none of my friends had heard of is Five Quarters of the Orange.

Favorite books read last year? Time Traveler's Wife was interesting...and maybe the first 'fantasy' book I've ever enjoyed. I liked Memoirs of a Geisha as well.

Favorite books of all time? I finally read Pride and Prejudice a while back and really enjoyed it (which surprised me, for some reason). I have reread The Peacemaker by Mark J. Livingstone several times - the ending gives me chills every time. I'm sure there are tons more, but again, I forget books so quickly so the titles are all gone from my ever-shrinking mind!

Least favorite book you finished last year? Clara Callan - recommended to my dad by my aunt (a former English teacher), but was a little, um, liberal for me.

What are you reading right now? What am I coming to? Nothing - unless you count a little bit of Chicken Soup for the Expectant Mother's Soul, or the Sears' Pregnancy Book! I need to get some good ideas!

What are you reading next? I'm not sure - stayed tuned for my Spring Reading Thing post, coming March 21st!

Labels: ,


 
posted at 9:27 AM  
  0 comments


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home